One of the earliest references to Winwick can been found in the Domesday Book of 1086 which mentions that the Monks of Coventry hold about 30 acres of land in the village, which is valued at 50/-. A further 90 acres are owned by the Peverel family of Clay Coton Manor, while the freehold of the village is held by the Earl of Mercia, Leofric.
By 1100 Stephen de Blukevil had given a house and about 180 acres of land called Winwick Grange to the Abbey Pipwell. This probably refers to Winwick Manor, which was probably on a small mooted island site that has been basically destroyed by ploughing.
By the first part of the 13th century the lands that had once been held by the Coventry Prior had come into the hands of John de Bayeux before in 1288 they came into the hands of Stephen and Peter Mallore (Malory/Mallory). It was to remain in the Mallory family until to being sold by their descendant, Sir Eusebius Andrewes, in 1611 to one of the most wealthy men in England and a former Lord Mayor of London, Sir William Craven. The Craven family remained as the owners of the Winwick Manor Estate until the 1790s when Dame Juilia Langham, a wealthy widow and owner of the Cottesbrooke Estate purchased it. It was about this time that the first freeholds were sold. Though owning the Winwick Estate until 1911, the Langhams never lived at the Manor and allowed it to become not much more than a farmhouse.