Winwick Orphanage was opened in the late 1870s by the new schoolmaster, Henry Stafford, though it was more of a boarding school for young adults than an actual orphanage. Most of those staying there at the time of the 1881 appear to have come from the London area. There was no local children.
Funded partially by an annual fete, the running of the orphanage was taken over by the rector's daughter, Julia Poole, when Stafford left the village. Her father was to die in September 1883 and within twelve months Julia had left the village taking the orphanage with her. She can be found on the 1891 census in Kent running what is then described as a church school.
The orphanage is an early 18th building which at one time was two seperate units. Timbered framed, the building appears to have been re-fronted with red brick in the late 1800s and was part of the rectory estates until the early 1950s.