For about 50 years the Winwick Warren Estate was owned by retired Colonel Richard Henry Ainsworth, who played an active part in Winwick life despite having another home at Smithhills Hall, Bolton, Lancashire. His roles included being for time a church warden until he fell out with the incoming rector, the Rev Charles Page Eden, who wished to make Winwick a higher church. So as a result of this, he set up in 1904 a mission church in Winwick.
Colonel Ainsworth was to die at Winwick on June 26th, 1926 and was buried at the family church, St Peter's, Halliwell, Lancashire. Following his death the estate of some 215 acres was sold in a public auction held at the Royal George Hotel, Rugby on May 16th, 1927 where he was bought by Captain Philip L. Ransom.